Sunday, January 9, 2011

Haircut

I took the girls to get their hairs cut on Friday.  It was snowy, and we usually go to my friend Emily's house on Fridays and Maria was all pushed (as usual) to go somewhere, so off we went.  It went really well, especially with Maria.  She went first and watched her Dora/Diego video that she had picked out.



I never understand these kid haircut places, though. I suffer through taking them when they are this little but that's it.  I think that the hair girls are kind of clueless about children and I'm not asking them to be an expert in child development or anything, but to be disappointed that Maria couldn't "freeze like a statue" or "look down at Dora!" for a long time is kind of stupid, to me.  I *understand* that they have to look down in order to cut the back of their hair, but here's an idea - bend at the legs!  I sort of stood behind Maria to sort of hold her head and she was fine but I mean really.

Veronica didn't do so great, and it reminded me of how weird expectations are.  Veronica used to be so sweet and compliant and Maria has always been, well, Maria, and I couldn't be more wrong about how I thought they'd behave at a place like this.  One thing that is always true about Maria, though, is that she NEVER wants to leave anywhere.  I do everything, I tell her five minutes, three minutes, etc., before we leave and it never fails.  She ALWAYS yells and cries before we go.

She will be three years old on Tuesday.  Tomorrow at school, she (we) is bringing the snack and I'm going to send in birthday cupcakes.  I'm also thinking of getting her a little birthday crown for school.  I really want to have a fun week of birthday-ness, since we're not doing a big party.  I can't believe she's three, but what I can't believe MORE is that she is still not going to go to school for two and a half years.  That feels so long to me, I think really?  Really just a little less time than her whole LIFE up til now is how long we wait before she's in school?  Maybe once we start ballet and have a little more going on, it will go faster but for right now?  STILL PRETTY SLOW.

No comments: