Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pool

I took Maria to swimming lessons today, it was their last meeting in this session.  She's still an EEL, but she's doing well.  She gets really scared at the oddest times, she's hard to predict.  Anyway, I didn't see the last class because I was working with Felicity, who has her own special challenges and doesn't give a HOOT if I ever see Maria or Veronica again, but she did well, Marta said, so that's good.

Then we went to the JCC here in town, I bought a Living Social deal for $50 and ten visits and on each visit two adults and three kids can go, which is amazing.  They have a beautiful water park, it's perfectly designed, lots of zero depth entry to this fun water park thing, 6" of water, 1.5 ft., 3 ft., etc.  It was great and it was so hot today it was great to be near the water.  There are problems with going to the pool with Maria, though.

She is impossible to get to leave anywhere.  IMPOSSIBLE.  She yells and screams and cries and it's really embarrassing and awful.  I mean, it would be one thing if it was just Maria, but it's usually Felicity and sometimes Veronica too and - hoo boy!  I mean, what is there to do?  I know what I'd LIKE to do and that is smack her face, just WHAP right across her face.  I know it would shut her right up, too!  And it might even stop her from doing it in the future.  But I can't.  I mean, I never would but man.  It's tempting.

Once I got her to go, it was fine and of course by then the ding dang baby was SLEEPING like an ANGEL in her stroller so we could have stayed but honestly.  I was over it, and they were too.  Three hours in the broiling sun is enough for anyone.

I told my sister the other day, going to the pool at the Y is like a combination of some of my least favorite things - I am out, in a bathing suit, in the hot hot sun, with a low level panic that something terrible could happen, and there are TEENAGERS telling me what to do.  It was much nicer at the JCC than it was at the Y, though.  There were lifeguards everywhere and they were teenagers but they were just nicer and not such pedants about putting a little baby in a swim diaper on the pool deck.  Sheesh.

1 comment:

Leeann said...


This blog entry made me laugh aloud. I am not kidding, you are absolutely hysterical. Your writing is just like my brain sounds in my own head. lol

When my now-18 year old was about 3, she pitched a holy fit in a bank over a balloon that she wanted. She started screaming and carrying on. Man, I was so pissed. I got her back to the car and gave her a good WHAP. She totally had it coming. Not too many fits after that one, either.

Not telling you to do that or not, just that I remember seeing RED and wanting to slug her right there in front of everyone. And just a generation ago, they would have!