Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Pride

Yesterday I was volunteering in the library at school and Maria's teacher popped in to say what a great reader she was.  Maria's friend Clive said that Maria finished all the petals on her flower, which I guess means that for each Accelerated Reader test that she passes, she gets another petal on her flower, anyway, he was impressed.  I told Maria's teacher, I knew she could read and it was very exciting but she is also very competitive and I thought the contest part of it was really appealing to Maria.  It's really exciting.  I mean, I assume it would be exciting anyway but she's really our first to read and I love it.

Veronica is starting to spell and read too and she is kind of exactly where Maria was at this time last year.  Maria is not exactly the most supportive older sister.  We did that LAST YEAR, she is always shouting at Veronica.  We talk a lot about how it would be kind and helpful if she told Veronica what to expect and to remember how excited she was to learn things in Kindergarten, but it doesn't always stick.

She is really doing well.  John is in town and brought them a book called Vampirina Ballerina, which is a combination of their favorite things and they love it. Maria was reading it this morning and it's just wonderful - she just reads away, like she's always done it.  When I think of what's out there for her - all the books and all the great words out there, waiting, it just blows my mind.

Here are some pictures!  The first is of Maria in her luchador mask, the one that my brother John brought her.  The second one is one that I took of the three girls when we were at our SECOND urgent care of the day on Sunday morning.  Last night Maria told John that Sunday morning was the "worst morning of her LIFE", all because it took us two hours and two urgent cares to get Felicity treated for an ear infection and pneumonia.  Ha, I think she might exaggerate a little!



No comments: